Tooth-Colored Fillings – Huntington Beach, CA
Restore the Health of Your Smile
In the past, the only option for repairing cavities was with shiny metal fillings. While these amalgam fillings are effective at repairing tooth decay, they also have a few downsides. After all, no one wants to show off a metallic smile. The good news is that Dr. Alexandria N. Arditti can provide you with tooth-colored fillings in Huntington Beach to restore the health of your smile. This way, you can have a stronger tooth, but maintain a natural-looking smile. Give us a call to learn more about tooth-colored fillings and schedule your appointment.
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Instead of using metal to fill cavities, Dr. Arditti uses tooth-colored composite resin that is considered safer, more effective, and more aesthetically pleasing when it comes to repairing teeth impacted by decay. This substance is biocompatible, so it bonds directly to the tooth, allowing patients to achieve long-lasting results while preserving more of the natural tooth structure. Tooth-colored fillings are customized to be the exact color of your teeth, so they will blend in seamlessly with the rest of your smile.
The Process of Getting a Tooth-Colored Filling
Most of the time, tooth-colored fillings can be placed in just one appointment. First, Dr. Arditti will numb your mouth with a local anesthetic (if needed). Then, she will remove the decayed portion of your tooth. After selecting the perfect shade of composite resin to match your tooth, it will be molded until it is the proper size and shape. Lastly, final adjustments will be made, and the tooth will be polished to give it a beautiful, finished appearance.
The Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
There are numerous benefits of tooth-colored fillings. Here are some of the many advantages of this restoration:
- Preserves More Natural Tooth Structure: When getting metal fillings, more of the tooth enamel needs to be removed. Because composite resin is biocompatible, less of your natural tooth needs to be sacrificed to have a filling placed.
- Long-Lasting: When you care for your oral health, tooth-colored fillings can last 10 years or longer before you need to have them replaced.
- Mercury-Free: Metal amalgam fillings contain a small amount of mercury which is toxic to humans. While the amount of mercury in metal fillings is low and not considered to be dangerous, many patients still prefer an option that is free of this substance.
- Natural Appearance: Unlike metal fillings, tooth-colored fillings match the color of your smile, so they look more natural. No one will even be able to tell that you have had a filling placed.
- Less Sensitivity: Metal fillings aren’t as effective at blocking the nerves in the center of the tooth. Metal fillings increase the risk of sensitivity to hot or cold foods and beverages. Composite resin creates a powerful barrier on the outer sections of the tooth, the sensitive nerves are shielded.